Injecting a little romance into your love-life can make sex so much more fulfilling.
Whether you are in your mid-50s and single or have been married for 20 years, your sex life can always use a “little enhancement.” Renowned sex therapist Miriam Biddelman, Center for Human Sexuality, Columbia Medical Center, New York, says “Romance is important to a satisfying and passionate sex life. It is important for the health of the relationship to engage in the romance of sex – whether you want to rekindle marital sex, have sex again after the birth of a baby or want to add some excitement to a relationship that has lost some luster.”
Here are Miriam Biddelman’s Top 20 Tips:
- Create a romantic atmosphere. Arrange fresh flowers, light candles in the bedroom and play soft romantic love songs to set the stage
- Exchange affection such as kisses and hugs
- Go on a romantic weekend get-away to a bed and breakfast (alone and without the kids!)
- Use a sexually stimulating personal lubricant for women like ProSensual®, that helps enhance sexual arousal and desire (and intensify orgasmic experiences)
- Do something romantic every day such as leaving a love poem in your partner’s brief case or on the bathroom mirror
- Make a date with your partner. One night a week, go out to a romantic dinner and spend some alone time together
- Be silly. Greet him (or her) at the door just wearing “your birthday suit” and a red bow around your neck!
- Talk to each other. Instead of chatting about the house bills, the kids and work issues, get to know each other again by expressing your feelings and emotions
- Spend romantic time together. Remember when you first started dating and how much fun it was to just talk and hold hands or partake in simple pleasures like a walk in the park?
- Take a bubble bath together. To set the stage, light white aromatherapy candles and lots of bubbles!
- Talk “sexy” to each other. Express how you feel sexually and your sexual fantasies
- Surprise your partner with an unexpected romantic gesture (like sending him a bouquet of red roses at work)
- Dance together. Put on a romantic CD and dance the night away
- Give your partner a romantic massage
- Write a “love letter” to your partner, reaffirming your love and commitment to the relationship
- Take a vacation. Getting away from the everyday stress of life can add romance and rev up your sex life
- Feed each other sensual and romance-inducing foods like strawberries and chocolate
- See a romantic movie together
- Use sensual props and accessories
- Flirt with each other (just like you did when you first met!)